Saturday, July 14, 2012

Other Basic Necessities that a Less Affluent Person Might Need

There are other things a person living on the edge might need or want. Some are essentials, others just something to make life more comfortable.

Communication is often difficult. I avoid signing up for anything that results in a bill at the end of the month. I use a prepaid phone.
The phone itself is very inexpensive, especially for the basic model without any bells and whistles. I’ve always used TracFone for its availability. Almost every gas station carries a phone card for them. They are easy to use if not the most economical. I don’t talk on the phone much and don’t make casual calls. I have a phone mostly for emergencies. Texting, however, is cheaper on this phone than an actual call. I use that more often.

There are fancier models and all sorts of discounted cards that would make a super gift. Click on the boxes to read more about TracFone and minute cards.



When you’re out of spare change, you don’t get to do laundry. Fortunately, living in an RV park, I do have electricity. Some years ago I bought a little table top washing machine. It works great. I can’t believe how clean it gets my clothes. It has a couple of drawbacks though. One is that it only holds a few items. I have to do a wash every day and don’t get down far enough to get to things like sheets. The other is that this model has no drain. You have to dump the water out. It does have holes in the top so that the clothes stay in the bucket. It’s great for emergencies, but gets pretty tiresome.

   This one has a drain hose      


I'll be highlight more things that can make life better for someone  living on the edge. It doesn't have to be all gloom and doom. The way out is upward and onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment