Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Recipe for Stuff on the Back Shelf

I was given some stuff from a woman who was moving and didn't want to take it all with her. It was some stuff that I'd rarely buy and seldom get at a food pantry. The items I had my inspiration from was a box of Shake and Bake, one jar of mushrooms (the Portabella ones that can taste kinda slimy) and  half a can of green beans from the food pantry. I have WAY too many cans of green beans taking up space. I'm not particularly fond of canned green beans.

It struck me that the mushrooms might be tasty if they were fried or otherwise made crisp-ier. I spotted the Shake and Bake in the back of the cabinet. I thought, Why Not? So I mixed everything together and put it in a frying pan with a little oil. I cooked it until it started to brown. I would have baked it but don't have a working oven.

\Viola.' It wasn't bad. It pretty much made a meal in itself. And I got to use up some things that tend to linger on the shelf.

By the way, I've updated my Wizzley article How to Live on $1.25 a Day. You might want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment